Who was Avicii and How Did He Die
Who was Avicii? Tim Bergling, known as the D.J. and electronic dance music producer, Avicii.
When did Avicii die? He died on April 20, 2018.
How old was Avicii when he died? He was born on September 8th, 1989 and died at the age of 28.
What was Avicii’s cause of death? The Avicii suicide prompts a conversation about how mental health issues and substance abuse can combust, taking a life prematurely. Considering his own words in a recent documentary, the Avicii suicide resulted from a profound struggle with the relentless pressures of his fame, his difficulty finding meaning in life, and physical and mental health struggles, including excessive alcohol consumption, pancreatitis, sleep disorders, and both anxiety and depression. A shocking death, such as the Avicii suicide, can shine a light on the importance of self-care, and his struggles can serve as warning signals for everyone.
Risk Factors for Suicide
While no one is immune to the pressures and struggles of daily life, there are certain risk factors that can be associated with an individual taking the drastic and permanent step of suicide in response. These factors, including health, environmental, and historical factors, are the characteristics or conditions that can increase the risk of an individual taking their own life. According to the American Foundation of Suicide Prevention, the risk factors for suicide include:
- Mental health disorders, including depression, bipolar disorder, substance use disorder, schizophrenia, mood disorders, conduct disorders, and anxiety disorders
- Serious or chronic health conditions
- Traumatic brain injury
- Access to the means to commit suicide, such as firearms or drugs
- Prolonged stress
- A stressful life event, such as divorce, death of a loved one, or job loss
- Exposure to another person’s suicide
- Previous suicide attempts
- Family history of suicide
- Childhood abuse, neglect, or trauma
The Avicii suicide can possibly be attributed to several of these risk factors. In his quest for seeking the meaning of life after retiring from the music business at age 26, he may have continued to struggle with mental health issues, substance abuse, stress, or health issues.
Signs and Warning Signs of Suicide
The most difficult aspect of a loved one’s suicide is trying to look back and detect the warning signs that were possibly missed. Someone who is in the mental space of considering ending their life can hide this from others, making their death that much more shocking. However, in many cases the individual may exhibit warning signs, which can include:
- Change in their mood or personality. Mood changes may include irritability and agitation, anger, rage, depression, anxiety, loss of interest in things they one enjoyed.
- Behavioral changes. Possibly the individual has recently experienced a painful loss or significant change that has culminated in changes in behavior. These may include increased alcohol or drug use, isolating behaviors, fatigue, sleep disorders, studying ways to commit suicide, giving away possessions, or calling people to say goodbye.
- Talking about death. Someone considering ending their life may discuss this with friends or family members. They may talk about killing themselves, being a burden to others, their feelings of hopelessness, or, as what may have been the case in the Avicii suicide, finding no reason to live.
In the event where a loved one is exhibiting a mental health crisis or several of the warning signs, immediately call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at (800) 273-8255 and for inpatient and outpatient treatment options call a Treatment Specialist at 866-644-7911.
Get Help for Depression Treatment, You’re Not Alone
The Treatment Specialist connects you with treatment center that are trained in mental health interventions, including life-threatening depression or anxiety. The team of specialists are highly trained and experienced in the fields of mental health and addiction, and can reliably guide the individual toward the best treatment options. For immediate help, please contact a Treatment Specialist today at (866) 644-7911.
Rest in Peace Avicii – Thank You for Your Beautiful Contribution to Music and To The World