Table of Contents
Understand the Link Between Depression and Suicide
How shocked the nation, and the world, is when we hear of a celebrity suicide. As a country, we have come to look up to the people who make a name for themselves. They may have excelled as an actor, musician, artist, athlete, or public figure.
Yet who knows the pain that may lie just beneath the surface of these famous people? Often, it is not known until after their death that the person who took their own life was deeply troubled.
How shocking it was in 2018 when Kate Spade and Anthony Bourdain were lost within a month of each other. Both of these acclaimed people seemed to have it all. It taught us that how we perceive each other is sometimes completely wrong.
This is the lasting message that is so important to understand. As suicide rates continue to rise, we all need to become better informed about depression.
DEPRESSION AND SUICIDE
Suicide is now the 10th leading cause of death. An average of 132 Americans die by suicide daily. Also, increases among teens and young adults have tripled in some groups within this age bracket. In fact, the CDC reports a 30% increase in suicide among young people aged 10-34. This makes suicide the 2nd leading cause of death in this group.
In some cases, there may be suicide-warning signs. A loved one may be in need of mental health help, such as admission to a mental health facility. In fact, 4 out of 5 teens that attempt suicide had given clear warning signs.
If someone you know becomes very depressed and withdraws from work and family, it could be a warning sign. Also, if a loved one has been dealing with a severe health or financial setbacks, this too could be cause for concern. If someone comments that his or her family would be better off without them, it is time to step in.
KNOW THE SIGNS OF MDD
Depression does not usually appear without warning. In many cases, the symptoms may start off as vague. As time goes on, the person’s low mood begins to cause impairment. In essence, major depressive disorder (MDD) does not resolve like a bout of the blues.
Call for a Free Confidential Assessment
Symptoms of MDD include:
- Feelings of sadness or despair. Feels hopeless.
- Loss of interest in daily life.
- Fatigue, lack of energy.
- Slowed motor movements and thinking.
- Has trouble making decisions.
- Sudden weight gain or weight loss due to change in eating habits.
- Sleep problems.
- Feelings of guilt or shame.
- Thoughts of suicide.
When a cluster of these symptoms persists for more than two weeks it is time to seek help.
TREATMENT FOR DEPRESSION
For decades now, the treatment for depression has relied on a blend of therapy and antidepressants. Within those two treatment methods exist many options. There is a wide choice of therapies from which a therapist can select. Also, there are about 30 different kinds of antidepressants on the market. Depression treatment takes some time and patience. Treatment can take months to feel the full effect.
Holistic actions can also improve the symptoms of depression. These methods add to the other treatments by helping to manage stress levels. Some holistic activities that can assist in the treatment of depression include:
- Working out, walking, running, swimming.
- Healthy diet.
- Essential oils
- Art therapy
List of the Celebrities who Committed Suicide
Here are some of the most famous people who committed suicide:
- Stan Kirsch, age 51. Actor best known for his TV series, “Highlander,” died from suicide on January 11, 2020.
- Brody Stevens, age 48. Comedian best known for his work on “The Hangover” franchise, died by suicide on February 22, 2019.
- Stephanie Sherk, age 37. Actress best known for the movie “Valentine’s Day,” died by suicide on April 20, 2019.
- Margot Kidder, age 69. Actress best known for “Superman” movie, died from suicide on May 13, 2018.
- Mark Salling, age 35. Best known for his role on the TV show “Glee” died by suicide on January 18, 2018.
- Avicii, age 28. Avicii was a famous DJ from Sweden who died by suicide on April 20, 2018.
- Anthony Bourdain, age 61. Anthony, chef and best known for his show “No Reservations“, died from suicide on June 8th, 2018.
- Kate Spade, age 55. Kate Spade was an iconic fashion designer and mother that died by hanging in her Manhattan, NY apartment on June 5th, 2018.
- Chester Bennington, age 41. Chester Bennington was the lead singer of Linkin Park and hanged himself July 20th, 2017.
- Chris Cornell, age 52. Chris Cornell was the lead singer of Soundgarden who died by hanging in 2017.
- Aaron Hernandez, age 27. Former NFL star who died by hanging in his jail cell in 2017.