Depression Signs and Symptoms
Depression is a feeling of hopelessness. It makes you feel uncomfortable all the time. It’s even more difficult for men because men are taught not to be emotional or cry. As society says “Men don’t cry”. they don’t share their situation with people which ultimately makes things worse for them. Thankfully, dealing with depression and getting rid of this feeling is not an impossible task.
Before discussing the strategies, let’s discuss some signs and symptoms of depression in men:
- Irritated behavior
- Getting angry on small things
- Feeling sad, tearful, guilty
- Appetite and weight changes
- Feeling mentally tired
- Having trouble focusing
- Disturbed sleeping pattern
12 Steps to Get Help for Depression
- Realize the reason:- It’s impossible to deal with something without knowing the reason behind it. Take your time, examine your mental state, try to find out the reason behind “why are you depressed?” or “why are you facing this hopelessness?”.
- Get rid of the problem first:- Now that you know the problem behind the depression, getting rid of it is a must.
Reasons can be:
- An abusive relationship
- Unsupportive and demotivating company
- Losing your loved ones
- Getting cheated by someone
- Stressed job conditions
- Family problems
- Unsatisfying job
Whatever the reason is, just get rid of it. If you are working but not satisfied with your job, then quit. Follow your passion. If your loved ones don’t respect you and make you feel low about yourself, leave them. Believe me, nobody can make you feel you bad about yourself as long as you don’t allow them to.
- Forgive yourself and others:- Forgiving and letting go is important. If you are depressed because of your own mistakes, forgive yourself. We all make mistakes, mistakes help us to grow. If a person is a reason behind it, forgive them too. You can never move on without forgiving. Just take it easy and let it go.
- Make music your best friend:- Music has been used to heal the body and soul. It takes you to another level. Listen to songs that make you feel calm but also listen to songs that drive you crazy. Dance crazily to songs. If a song makes you feel like crying, then cry. Let the feelings get out. Let it sink in.
- Dress: This is something that works like therapy. Invest time in deciding outfits and getting ready, daily in the morning. Being put together and looking good will make you feel confident.
- Set small term goals: Setting easy and small-term goals are important. For example:-
- Getting early in the morning
- Having your favorite food for breakfast
- Getting ready
- Going for small walks
- Playing with dogs
- Go swimming or cycling
- Watching your favorite movies
- Adopt a pet
- Exercise: It may seem like the last thing you want to do when you are depressed, but once you get motivated, exercise can make a big difference. Exercise not only helps to improve health problems like diabetes, high blood pressure, and arthritis, but it also has physical and psychological benefits in improving mood and one of the best ways to treat anxiety without medication. It can help you in many ways:
- Exercising releases endorphins like cannabis which will ultimately make you feel good and Enhance your sense of well-being.
- Once you start exercising, it will drive your attention away from negative thoughts and over thinking.
- Meeting exercising goals and working out will boost your self-confidence.
- Losing some extra calories and getting in shape will make you feel good about your appearance.
- Reach out to friends and family: Men usually don’t usually open up to others easily because they are feared that they will be misunderstood. But you don’t have to hide your feelings from the people who genuinely care about you. They are the people who can help and support you the most at rough times. So talk to them. Talking about what’s causing you stress and sharing the things which bring you down will lessen the load and intensity of your thoughts. So, open up.
- Avoid alcohol and drugs: Leaning onto drugs or alcohol is not the way out. It might provide a temporary way out, but believe me; this is only going to make things worse. Instead, plan a healthy diet and stick to it.
- Spend time with yourself: Take time out of your work or studies and explore. You can go to theme parks, water parks, small picnics, boating or just a quiet day out with your own company. Don’t desperately seek for others to accompany you. To deal with depression, you need to spend alone time with yourself. Meet new people and try to know about their experiences.
- Give credit to yourself: – It’s hard to deal with depression, harder to come out of your shell and confront people.
A very famous quote says “Always concentrate on how far you’ve come, rather than how far you’ve let go”
So every day you do something to deal with depression, give yourself full credit for it.
- Consult a therapist: If you feel the need for professional help, you should definitely consult a therapist. Every day There is no shame in it. It’s completely alright. Therapists are the people who have knowledge about depression and dealing with it, they are the best people to get help and advice from.
In the end, to all the men out there, you can cry and be emotional. There is nothing unmanly or bad about it. Emotions are what make us different from other species. To deal with depression, you need to prepare yourself to grab all the opportunities and give time. Indulging in new exciting things will boost your mental state. If you have someone in your life going through such a phase, understand them. Comfort them and listen to them. Don’t think too much about everything and keep it easy.
Seeking Depression Treatment for Yourself or a Loved One
If you or someone you or a loved one is struggling with depression and is in need of a treatment program, please call to speak to a Treatment Specialist at 866-644-7911. Learn about the available treatment options for young and older men. You can also utilize health insurance plans to help reduce the out of pocket costs towards depression treatment by asking for a free insurance check when you call.