Comfort at Your Side, Rehabs That Allow Pets
When it comes time to head off to rehab for treatment of a drug or alcohol dependency, many people balk at the thought of leaving their beloved pet behind. The bond forged between the human and one’s pet is a powerful one, so the idea of not having daily interaction with them may be too difficult to overcome. Thankfully, pet friendly luxury rehabs provide an environment that is accepting of the client’s pet, understanding how having their pet with them during treatment will enhance the recovery process.
The benefits of pet ownership are well known to anyone who has ever enjoyed the companionship of a furry friend. In fact, the physical and mental benefits of pet ownership have been well researched, confirming that the advantages to our overall wellbeing are not just in our imaginations. A study conducted at the University of Missouri’s Center for the Study of Animal Wellness, by Rebecca A. Johnson, Ph.D., found neurochemical changes in the study participant’s cortisol, oxytocin, prolactin and serotonin levels. Johnson found a reciprocal relationship between dog and human, that both displayed positive health effects from the bond.
5 Benefits of a Pet Friendly Luxury Rehab
When considering whether to seek out a pet friendly luxury rehab versus one that does not allow animals, here are some of the therapeutic benefits of having your fur baby join you:
- Most of us crave the kind of unconditional love and acceptance that a pet offers. Winding through the recovery process is often an arduous task that can test the resolve of even the most motivated client. Having one’s pet on board through the stint in rehab alleviates many of the feelings of loneliness and isolation that accompany the early recovery process.
- Physical benefits. As mentioned above, regular interaction with a pet promotes increases in the feel-good hormones and reduces levels of the stress hormone, cortisol. In addition, a dog will require daily walks, which are a win-win for both client and dog. The dog gets the daily jaunt, and the client benefits from the cardiovascular benefits along with the endorphin effects.
- During active addiction, many become solely focused on themselves and their habit. The world revolves around satiating this unrelenting demand for the substance of abuse, so the individual battling addiction becomes self-centered. Bringing a pet along to rehab means the client must care for its daily needs. This accountability to something outside of oneself is a positive step in recovery.
- Social benefits. In early recovery there is a tendency to isolate. Some clients simply are not comfortable in a rehab environment and keep to themselves. A pet can provide a great icebreaker, opening up avenues to casual conversation and eliciting smiles from fellow clients. Having a dog around creates a relaxing, home-like vibe that everyone can benefit from.
- Sense of security. Because our animals love us unconditionally, they are wired to protect us. Just having our pet sitting on our lap or lying on our bed with us creates a sense of safety. During early recovery emotions are erratic and anxiety is high. Our beloved pet can alleviate much of that stress just by being at our side and loving us.
Finding a Pet Friendly Luxury Rehab through the Treatment Specialist
The Treatment Specialist is a free rehab locator service that takes the hassle and wasted time out of searching for addiction and mental health treatment. The Treatment Specialist Team will assess your individual needs, as well as any preferences you might have, including a pet-friendly rehab environment. Pet Friendly Luxury Rehab for addiction available in California, Florida, Texas, Georgia, and other locations, call to see current availability. There are also Pet Friendly Sober Living and Pet Friendly Mental Health Facilities options available as well. The compassionate staff at The Treatment Specialist will match your specific needs with the perfect pet friendly luxury rehab from their vast network of high quality providers. Call us today at (866) 644-7911.